More notes from the journey.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The Demon in the Freezer

I finished this book yesterday and I will be processing it for awhile. This is the kind of book that a hypochondriac like me should stay FAR FAR away from and yet I appreciated this story more than any I have read in quite some time.

Essentially this is the story of biological weapons and most notably, smallppox. Before reading this I knew not a thing about smallpox. All I have to say about it now is "Wow!". What a devastating and horrible disease. The author writes about it beautifully. Sounds strange, but it is the truth. This is the story of this disease and the people that worked to eradicate it. Phenomenal

I take away from this book a truly profound sense of the precariousness of our lives. Evil does exist in the world and it can gain power. This sounds negative, but acknowledging this truth has been liberating for me. So, carpe diem. I am about as far from the "seize the day" camp as a person can get, but I am reexamining this position. And isn't that what a book should do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home