More notes from the journey.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Lost in the Forest (Sue Miller)

Now this was a good read. Most satisfying. More "my kind of book" then the last few that I have read. The story of a family and what happens when they become disconnected.

At the heart of it, this is the story of Daisy - the youngest daughter. Her parents divorce when she is young and her stepfather (who she grows close to as a young teen) dies in an accident. In the wake of all of this tragedy and upheaval, she tries to forge connections in inappropriate ways. Bottom line - she enters into a sexual relationship with a family friend (who is her parents age and is also married). A very bad idea. I am guessing she is "lost in the forest" =). Ultimately her bio Dad checks back into her life and she is able to disentangle herself from what is essentially a pedophile.

That is the plot in a (very small) nutshell. While the story was interesting and did draw me in, it was not the best part of the book. What I liked most about this book was the authors evident love of language. It felt like she chose each word carefully and was not only consumed with plot concerns. I would not say that the plot took a backseat, but for me the author struck a nice balance btw focus on story and focus on language. It felt good to read the words. I like that. I don't know that I have read anything else by Sue Miller, but she will be going on the list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home