More notes from the journey.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Vanishing Acts (Jodi Piccoult)

I love Jodi Piccoult. I really do. I read this book after reading My Sisters Keeper and was afraid I might be let down. I wasn't let down at all!

One thing this author does really well is to capture the voices of many different characters. Each character is believable and actually breathes on the page. I would think that would be a big challenge. But she does it so well! Complicated and multidimensional characters that seem real. This is one of the main reasons that I love her books. I am a big character person, so her works makes me really happy.

This is the story of Delia Hopkins and her search for the truth of her history. In her early thirties, her father is arrested for her kidnapping twenty-eight years before. It turns out that her mother is not dead, as she has always believed, but alive and well in Arizona. Her name is also, not Delia, but Bethany.

The book raises alot of interesting questions about the nature of memory. How we know who we are and how we can be influenced by who we believe ourselves to be. What it means to have a second chance. What we would do for our children.

Loved it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home