More notes from the journey.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science (Atwul Gwande)

We read this during our car travels over Christmas. What a book! It's really fun for me to read this kind of nonfiction stuff with B. It makes for interesting conversation. I'm so happy that I picked this one up for us.

This book is filled with lots of stories. Many of them were pretty hard to read, being the hospital/sickness phobe that I am. My favorite was the story of a girl with a red leg who had necrotizing fascitis. That is the flesh eating bacteria. Super scary for me. She survived. He also talks about a man coping with his life after gastric bypass surgery. Pretty interesting stuff.

Lots of discussion about the intersection btw the mind and the body. What a great read!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home