More notes from the journey.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Any Place I Hang my Hat (Susan Issacs)

This is the story of a girl searching for her own identity. Her teenage mother leaves her before her 3rd birthday and she is raised by her paternal grandmother. Her father is frequently in jail. Life is rough, but she works hard and manages to secure a scholarship to a prestigous boarding school. She goes to Harvard and becomes a journalist. Her life is spent moving between two very different worlds. The world of her hard-scrabble family and the world of her elite friends. Her question is where her place is.

I really liked her. Believed her. Wished her well. I cringed when she began the search for her mother. I wanted to shake her when she pushed her boyfriend away. This book was a bit predictable, but I enjoyed the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home