More notes from the journey.

Monday, January 16, 2006

as hot as it was you ought to thank me (Nanci Kincaid)

This was Marilee's pick for our book club. I had never heard of this author, but I fell in love. It's always great to find a new Southern author with such talent! This is the story of a thirteen yr old girl named Berry who lives in a tiny town (Pinetta) in Florida. Her father is the principal of the town school, her mother takes care of their home, and she has two brothers with whom she shares a bedroom.

Nanci Kincaid can WRITE! You feel like you are truly a part of Berry's world. You can feel the emotion dripping from the page. Once I started this book, I could not put it down. I was fascinated by the people of Pinetta, FL. The Methodist preacher, the brave "rich" woman in town, the little boy who wears his big sisters hand-me-down dresses, and the poorest/roughest family in town. I still find myself wondering what these people are up to. It was hard to allow myself to finish the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home